- Manuel: D+/C-
- Tenure (2005-13): B+/A-
- Sandberg (as 3B coach): C-/C
- Sandberg (as manager): B+
- Samuel (1B-3B): A
- Dubee (P): B+/A-
- Tenure (2005-13): A
- Nichols (BP): D+/C-
- Henderson (H): D+/C-
- Joyner (Assist. H-1B): C
- Hamels: B+/A- | Forget the W-L record!
- Halladay: D
- Lee: A-/A
- Kendrick: C+/B- | Good first half, injury could have affected him 2nd half.
- Lannan: D | Injury
- Pettibone: C-
- Cloyd: C
- Martin: C
- OVERALL: C/C+
- Pap: B
- Adams: D
- Durbin: F
- Bastardo: F+/D-
Let's break it down: Bastardo was suspended and he was performing so well - I guess we know why.... Pap's velocity was down, but his numbers were ok overall - maybe his elbow needs a "clean-up?". Adams really never got going, but it was not due to the off-season surgery. And Durbin was a signing that shouldn't have even happened. No-one performed as expected, especially during the middle of the season, but there were flashes of talent and effectiveness similar to late 2012, especially at the beginning and end of the year. If only people performed like they did late last year. OVERALL: D-
Looking ahead to 2014, if this bullpen is healthy & performs like it did late 2013 throughout 2014, then we could definitely contend. However, we said this exact same thing a year ago, so...
- Chooch (C): B+ | After a regretful start to the year, Chooch really bounced back, earning a contract next year.
- Howard (1B): D | He needs to play like a $25MM-a-year player in 125-135 games. Otherwise, we should platoon him with Ruf in the 2nd half.
- Utley (2B): B+ | Only missed a month and it was not because of his knees, and he played to near-All-Star levels. Deserved the extension.
- Rollins (SS): C | What happened to his power?!!!
- M. Young (3B-1B): C+/B- | He filled his roles nicely while Asche finished developing.
- Brown (OF): A-/A | Patience is a virtue when it comes to young players and Brown is certainly the proof. Nearly 30 HRs & 80 RBIs playing mostly everyday is great production.
- Revere (CF): B+/A- (1st half); INC (2nd half) | Freak accidents are hard to predict in baseball and it is sad that Revere was playing so well at the time.
- D. Young (RF): D | What were you thinking, Rube? At least it was a cheap signing.
- OVERALL: C+/B-
- Kratz (C): D+/C-
- Quintero (C): D+/C-
- Rupp (C): A
- Asche (3B): A | Except for a slow start and slow finish offensively, Asche still set himself in good position for the 3B job. Could he be the "everyday third basemen" for the next 5-10 years? It certainly seems like it. And doesn't he look like Chase Utley out there?!
- Frandsen (IF): B+/A- | I'd say bring him back to platoon with Asche.
- Galvis (IF-OF): No grade
- Hernandez (2B-CF): No grade
- Ruf (1B-OF): B+/A- | Way to learn the corner OF spots, Darin! He doesn't strike me as a 600-PA guy (pun not intended, BTW), but 400 PAs playing three positions is certain to maximize his success next year.
- Mayberry (1B-OF): C | He passes, but he's now redundant given his age and platoon splits.
- OVERALL: B+/A-
I have graded these guys individually already, but feel it necessary to give the rookies an overall score. So, they get an "A-". Pettibone, Martin, Deikman, De Fratus, Asche, Ruf, Galvis, and Hernandez have certainly shown that they're ready for major league action. With Asche's slumps, Pettibone's injury, Martin's late-in-games ERA, and the young arms in the bullpen not performing to late-2012 levels... I decided to keep them below A/A+ criteria. Still, a 9/10 is a great score and it is my hope that there's some RoY votes for some of these guys.
TEAM SCORE: C-/D+
Well, a mid-year crash results in a losing record and a new manager, but things are looking up. Being healthy and performing up to expectations in 2014 should keep this team above the .500 mark.