- Adam Morgan (long-man)
- Adam Morgan (L), long-man/ specialist
- Jeanmar Gomez (R), closer
- Hector Neris (R), set-up man
- Joaquin Benoit (R), late-relief
- Pat Neshek (R), mid-late relief
- Edubray Ramos (R), mid-late relief
- Joely Rodriguez (L), specialist/ mid-late relief
- Dalier Hinojosa (R), mid-relief or Pat Venditte (S), primarily a lefty-on-lefty specialist
O.D. Line-up (defensively 3-9):
- Catcher (R)
- 1B Tommy Joseph (R)
- 2B Cesar Hernandez (S) - utility capable
- 3B Maikel Franco (R)
- SS Freddy Galvis (S) - utility capable
- LF Howie Kendrick (R) - can play 2B, RF and possibly all-around utility
- CF Odubel Herrera (L) - can play 2B and some corner OF
- RF Michael Saunders (L)
- OF Aaron Altherr (R)
- 1B, OF Brock Stassi (L)
- 2B-3B Andres Blanco ()
This offense, the depth behind them (in the minors), the aforementioned hitting coach Matt Stairs, and the improved pitching depth will keep the Phillies in more games than last year (above .500 through game 60 instead of game 45)\, plus winning a few more games through come-back games (both sides) and shorter loosing streaks late in the year.
- Hitting depth is going to be the primary focus at all levels in 2017. The key guys are:
- Herrera & Franco in MLB
- I'd love to see Galvis, Joseph, Knapp, Hernandez, Altherr, Goeddel demonstrate they're part of the future... at least the next 2-3 years.
- SS JP Crawford, IF Alfaro, OF Cozens, IF Hoskins, IF Valentin, OF Quinn, & OF Williams in AAA
- IF Kingery at AA.
- 1B J. Ortiz & OF Moniak in A.
Seeing the following guys make big steps this year means we have a new core in-progress: starters Nola, Eickhoff & Velasquez; relief P Neris; 3B Franco; and CF Herrera. We do have a fall-back: the upper-tier of the minors, but that is slower and more unknown at this time. Either will open the door to free agency next year. Otherwise, the Phillies will (thru unattractiveness or their own decision(s)) have to buy low in a huge free agent market and will be tough to watch the next year or two.
You ready for this year? They most likely won't contend but will be interesting to watch!